Home
Directions
About Us
Contact Us

About Hutchins Antiques, Etc.

Our Historic Location

The building that houses Hutchins' Antiques has been in our family for over 100 years! In 1840 Theodore Hutchins opened the Village Blacksmith in Ogunquit, Maine. He made, by hand, the shoes and nails with which he shod horses 'round about. He also did the iron work on many of the boats that were built locally, and, of course, he tried his hand, part time, at farming and fishing to supplement his living. You can see some of the pieces fabricated out of the blacksmith shop on the walls today!

This pioneer carried on for forty years, when his son, Joseph Erving, transferred his interests from the sea to the land, and joined his father in the Village Blacksmith Shop. All together, these two men had run the Village Blacksmith Shop for eighty years when Joseph Erving was joined in the business by his son Russell who added a garage to the blacksmith shop.

Then the fourth generation Theodore Joseph joined his father in the business. In 1960 Thomas Hutchins of the fifth generation joined his father at Hutchins Garage which started as a Chevrolet dealership in 1926. David T. Hutchins, the sixth generation worked at the Chevrolet dealership until it closed in 1990.

The business then reopened as The Blacksmiths Antique Mall with David and his mother Betty Hutchins. The shop has grown throughout the years and now has around 80 dealers. The antique shop is now run by David and his sister Joan with the name changing to Hutchins Antiques Etc in September 2013.

Photo Gallery

Here is a look inside the shop with a sampling of items we carry!